Crow Wing Township Planning Commission Meeting
September 11, 2017 6:00 PM
Commission Members Present: Brad Arnold (Chair), Dan Lee, Linda Schuety, Paul Stephany, Justin Burslie (Planning &
Zoning Administrator), Greg Smith (Township Supervisor), Duane Ruona (Town Clerk)
Brad called the meeting to order at 6:00 PM and the pledge to the flag was recited.
Brad asked if there were any additions or deletions to the agenda. Steve Engholm was present to discuss the Engholm property
and was added to the agenda. Current violation discussion was also added under old business.
Dan made a motion to accept the minutes of the August 14, 2017 meeting as corrected. Seconded by Linda. Motion passed.
No new business.
The Town Board has sent the preliminary plat application for Oak Ridge South Second Addition back to the planning commission
for further review. There was discussion about the future location of SSTS on lots 4 & 5, which would be determined at
the time a permit is issued. The location of drainage areas for the proposed roadway was also discussed. The following findings
of fact were presented to the planning commission:
FINDINGS OF FACT
1. Oak Ridge South is a proposed subdivision consisting of seven 2.5 acre lots and a proposed public road/cul-de-sac.
2. The subject property is 18.41 acres and is located at the south end of Lone Oak Circle (no physical address).
3. The subject property will be created via an approved metes and bounds subdivision application (17-4511). The approved
subdivision has not been filed at the county.
4. The subject property is in the Rural Residential 2.5 land use classification.
5. The property is adjacent to other property zoned Rural Residential 2.5 (north and east), Agricultural/Forestry (west
and south) and Public (southwest).
6. The proposed lots are intended for single family residential purposes.
7. Each lot will be served by private water wells and private subsurface sewage treatment systems (SSTS). SSTS site evaluations
have not been submitted for the development.
8. The property is mostly wooded and contains approximately three acres of delineated wetland in the southwest corner
of the property.
9. The property does not contain any area designated as floodplain.
10. The proposed development contains a recently constructed road (extension of Lone Oak Circle) with a cul-de-sac. The
proposed right-of-way is 66' wide (24' wide driving surface with 2' shoulders) and an 80'radius cul-de-sac. The applicant
proposes to dedicate the road to the public.
11. Each of the proposed lots meet the minimum size and dimensional requirements of the Rural Residential 2.5 land use
12. The proposed buildable area of the lots are:
Lot 1: 92,200 sf; Lot 2: 92,500 sf; Lot 3: 86,900 sf; Lot 4: 33,600 sf; Lot 5: 34,900 sf; Lot 6: 81,500 sf; Lot
7: 88,000 sf.
13. Covenants for the development have been submitted.
14. A grading plan for the proposed road in the subdivision has been submitted.
15. A wetland delineation report for the subject property dated 7/10/17 has been submitted.
16. The subject property is relatively level and no significant grading is necessary to create buildable lots. The Township
has determined an overall grading plan is not necessary for the development.
17. A grading/stormwater management plan created by Anderson Bros. has been submitted for the proposed platted right-of-way
18. A grading/stormwater management plat created by Stark Engineering has been submitted.
19. Statements from Fletcher Trucking and Anderson Brothers Construction have been submitted regarding site preparation
for the roadway.
20. A copy of the NPDES permit for the project has been submitted.
21. An SSTS site evaluation for each of the proposed lots has been submitted.
22. A report with the description of the soils on the site and soil test results demonstrating the adequacy of the property
for proposed development in terms of ground water level has been submitted. Three locations within the development were sampled.
Motion by Dan, seconded by Linda that the application be recommended for approval by the Town Board based on the findings
of fact and with the following conditions of approval:
CONDITIONS OF APPROVAL
1. The current property owner (Paul Allen according to county records) shall authorize the subdivision application by
signing the application form. Not complete
2. Metes and Bounds Subdivision 17-4511 shall be filed at Crow Wing County before the final plat application is accepted.
3. The stormwater management plan for the roadway shall be implemented in full before any permits are issued for the development.
The proposed drainage areas shall be dedicated in an easement on the final plat. Not complete
4. An alternate location for drainage areas for the proposed roadway shall be submitted for review by the Township before
the final plat application is reviewed. Not complete
5. A 16' wide vegetative buffer shall remain in place surrounding the wetland. A conservation easement shall be created
and filed for said area. Vegetation may not be removed from the 16' wide vegetative buffer. Completed
6. Before the final plat is approved, the property owner shall enter into a developer's agreement with the Township regarding
construction and maintenance of the roadway. Not completed
7. The ditches in and around the development that have been impacted by construction of the road shall be cleaned and
repaired before the final plat signed by the Township. Not completed
8. The preliminary plat drawing shall be revised to include new locations for SSTS and dwellings in accordance with the
SSTS site evaluations. Completed
9. Anderson Brothers Construction shall submit a statement regarding the subgrade of the constructed roadway and warranty
of their work. Completed
10. The final plat application shall not be approved until all conditions of the preliminary plat approval are fulfilled.
Steve Engholm was in attendance. He plans to list the Engholm property for sale with a realtor. The realtor has asked
what uses would be allowed for the property. The current zoning is residential. To be changed, the new owner would have
to go through the rezoning process.
The Wade Tomberlin property violation was discussed. Wade is working on the cleanup list but wants to keep some items.
An inspection of the property will be done at 4:30 PM on September 26th by Brad and Dan to gauge the progress of cleanup
relative to the items listed in previous correspondence to Mr. Tomberlin. The clerk will send a letter to Wade reminding
him of the inspection.
The Chad Jillson property violation was discussed. There has been no communication from the attorney that has contacted
Mr. Jillson about the violation. The clerk will check with the attorney for a progress report.
The Planning & Zoning Administrator’s report was reviewed.
Dan made a motion to adjourn, Linda seconded, meeting adjourned at 7:40 PM.